18 November, 2012

Philadelphia Marathon Race Report

I had very low expectations for this race. 1st I have not run over 14 miles while training for this and that was just last week. Several things got in the way of my long runs so I didnt have high hopes. 2nd philly has a bad rap and though the course would not be very nice. To my surprise the course was great. I learned and saw so much of the city and was very surprised and happy. I had set a goal time of 5:30 but the course limit is 7 hours and that is really what I expected.

My wife is from Philly and we had a great weekend with family prior to the run. Farica, Braeden and I went to the Expo on Friday and lucky for us they had a huge kids zone with games, face painted, ballon animals, Jump houses etc. Brae had a blast and Farica was excited because I didnt buy anything. We went to reading terminal and had Bassets Ice cream after words. I did the standard carb loading friday and sat night.

Sunday morning wake up was 4am and was out the door at 4:30. I had a 45 minute drive from where we were staying and found a parking lot right across the street from race area. I met and talked with serveral people in my coral which I got to at 6 for a 7 start time. The race started alittle late but thats ok. The weather was cool in the 30's but quickly warmed up.

We started with the Rocky Theme song which made me laugh. From that point on it was all down hill. I got a side stich right of the bat and for the first time some bad shin pain. I worked that out over the 1st 2 miles. I kept a 12:30 pace which would have me finish at 5:27. The course winded through the city and several historical places and a few universities. The course was great!

I pushed through several changing problems with cramping, stomach issues, knee pain, no glide etc but managed to keep my pace. Then the hills started around mile 9 and kicked me in the butt. I knew I wasnt prepared for another17 miles so I changed the goal to just finish the half.

I did finish the half although not pretty and am very happy with that. I had a crazy month and just need to get back on track.

I will say Philly puts on a great Marathon and the first half of the course was great with excellent support. I will go back and try it again.

Rehobeth Beach is next followed by Disney. The Good news is I am right on track with training for that.

The best news of the day was when I looked at the results it counted my time as the marathon finish time with a 6:37 mile and that means I qualified for BOSTON today LOL



2012
Jan 6th, 7th, 8th Disney World Marathon Dopey Challenge Finisher (42.5 miles)
March 17th- DC Rock and Roll Half Marathon (2:45)
April 8th- Charlottesville 8K Road Race (55:36)
April 27th/28th- American Odyssey Relay- Gettysburg to DC (32:04:00)
Sept 9th - Heroes Run Annapolis, Md (32:26)
Oct 21st - Blue-Grey Half Marathon, Gettysburg Maryland (2:35:47)
November 18th - Philadelphia Marathon (2:53:00-13.1)
December 8th- Seashore Marathon, Rehobeth Beach. De.

2013
January 13th- Disney World Marathon #3
Febuary 2nd - Fight for Air Stair climb. Boston, Ma
March 16th/17th Shamrock Marathon Whale Challange. 8k and 26.2
April 26th/27th - AOR #2 Gettysburg to DC
May 19th - Columbia (Md) Tri
June 23rd - Rev3 70.3 Williamsburg, Va
July TBD
Aug 23-24th - 24 Hours of Booty, Columbia Md
Sept 8th IRONMAN WISCONSIN
Oct Rev3 Ulman Cancer Fund HalfFull

1 comment: